Sunday, March 1, 2015

Weekly Report and Reflection Post #6

  Is anyone as surprised as I am about how many “free” digital management tools there are in our digital world!  Every week I dive into a new and sometimes challenging adventure.  However, I have really enjoyed investigating many of the digital aids on the web that cost absolutely nothing and are available to use for personal, educational, or even vocational reasons.  This is certainly fascinating! 


  The past two weeks I have been exploring and using the Evernote information management system.  At first glance it seemed to be just a place to store notes, but as I dove further into the system I realized there are many useful features to utilize in this organization system.  Evernote is a digital tool that can store numerous items such as pictures or photographs, scanned notes, web page clippings, emails, printed or handwritten notes, and research articles.  Basically, everything can be saved in an Evernote note!  Not only can you store individual notes, you can also organize these notes into custom labeled notebooks.  This system also has the feature of using tags, which additionally helps the user find notes quickly. I indeed like this element of Evernote. J

  The platform of this system is slightly overwhelming at first.  Although, I am finding that initially most of these types of tools are.  However, once you use them for a few days and begin exploring the functions available, it becomes much more user friendly!  Here is a link to a video titled Getting Started with Evernote that really helped me become accustomed to this system.  So... any of you out there that are being challenged with this system maybe watch the video and just keep at it…because I really believe persistent eventually pays off! 

  Now what did I learn and notice in my exploration of Evernote?  A couple of really cool features I have discovered about Evernote is that it has a “Chat Tool” and additionally this management system can be linked to many other platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or even my cell phone!  The Chat Tool truly sparked my interest due to the fact that we are using this system to work with a couple of fellow students on our Research Projects.  I can not only chat and message both of my partners at the same time; we can also share our research with one another.  Not only can we share the information we have gathered, we also can edit one another’s work if permission is granted.  This is an incredible advantage because we can read and communicate about the project in real time without physically meeting.  Some may consider this unsocial and a disadvantage, nonetheless I saw this as a way to save time and an opportunity to work more efficiently on educational activities.

  Evernote will definitely be a tool that I will continue using!  I will gladly be inserting this digital management system into “My PLE Chart”.  Although the question does surface…under what heading will I place it?  What I have also discovered about many of the tools we are exploring in this course is that they can be placed or grouped in more than one location.  This tool can be placed in the three different categories such as connecting, researching, and creating.  All three apply because I am connecting with my partners, researching for my project on digital security, as well as creating the presentation within this tool.  
      


My Evernote Screen!

Reschke, A. ©2015.
  Lastly, I would like to share an interesting article that was fed into my Feedly Reader.  The article titled "When everything is connected, how will we keep creeps out and private data in?" It is about digital security and how companies and the Internet are using our personal data.  You can find it on the website Digital Trends.  Another great read about the adventures and issues that can arise by being part of a digital world!

Take care,

Alex
     
      
  


Evernote (2015) Getting Started with Evernote. Retrieved from http://evernote.com/getting_started/ 
McGrath, J. (2015). When everything is connected, how will we keep creeps out and private data in?. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/keeping-data-secure-in-a-connected-iot-world/

No comments:

Post a Comment